Friday, December 15, 2006

Pushing Like Parton

Anyone who has any sort of extended amount of time with me realizes I have a slight fascination with Dolly Parton. I guess I should explain that slight fascination means she has a restraining order against me, and a reward for the return of her that I might or might not have in my possession (my lawyer has advised me to tread lightly on the wig stealing/borrowing/admiring subject). Anyway, one my obsessions regarding the talented Parton is that I love when she performs covers. I have such an obsession with this that my friend Chris teases me quite a bit--- if I comment on how I enjoy a song he'll blurt, "Yeah, it'd only be better if Dolly sang it." I always smile at his sarcasm and reply, "Yeah, she'd probably win a Grammy." (Which is my hit back at him since Dolly won a Grammy for covering "Shine" and Collective Soul didn't win anything for performing their song----- and Chris loves Collective Soul.)

The idea for this post came about tonight when I was listening to Dolly sing, "Come to My Window." You can enjoy it below:




Lambda Literary Foundation has a calls for submissions page, and I was excited to read someone is creating an anthology titled DIVAS ANTHOLOGY: Gay Men on Their Divas. For the longest time I've been whining about writing a Dolly poem.... looks like now is the time since the deadline is January 15.

2 comments:

Collin Kelley said...

That's pretty damn impressive, but I'd expect nothing less from Dolly.

Dustin Brookshire said...

CK,

Of course it's impressive..... it's my Dolly.
:-)