Monday, May 4, 2009

Miss California Thoughts & Links


There is much buzz about Carrie Prejean's (AKA Miss California) comments and her appearance in the National Organization for Marriage sponsored commercial (that you can watch above). I know people are angry about what she said, but she was honest and respectful-------respect, something the Perez Hilton video lacks.

I do not agree with with Miss California comments, and I don't have to-- this is the beauty of our country. No two people are required to have the same opinion. While I disagree with Miss California's opinion, I am happy that we live in a country where she can state her opinion as I can mine. Plus, I like knowing where she stands on the issue. Knowing who is against is 80% of the battle plan.

It seems Miss California-Carrie Prejean wants to be the next Anita Bryant. Go ahead, sister. Remember that Anita lost her contract promoting Florida orange juice because of her crusade against gays. You can have a form of tolerance and acceptance and not agree on an issue. Miss California better learn this quickly before she loses more than a crown.



Joe The Plumber: I Would Never Let "Queers" Near My Children

Adoption by Gay Families Continues to Roil UK

Gay Marriage Advances in Maine, New Hampshire as Conservative Rhetoric Evolves

NH demographic change shows in Legislature votes

Judge to oversee DeKalb schools bullying review (Jaheem Herrera)

‘THEY KILL PEOPLE LIKE US,’ SAYS GAY IRAQI

7 comments:

Justin Evans said...

You know, the worst thing about her answer was not her opinion. The worst part was her inability to articulate her opinion.

Steve Fellner said...

Dustin,

Why is this an issue of respect, middle-class etiquette? Don't you think perhaps maybe too many middle-class gay men were too respectful when we were being attacked for Proposition 8? What your statements seem to encourage bothers me. Let's be obnoxious like Perez Hilton (even though he bugs the shit out of me.) At least he brought the issue to the forefront.

Politeness is the way of the privileged. A lack of manners is often not symptomatic our of a failure in an individual's character, but institutional power struggles.

Lisa Nanette Allender said...

I admire you for your tolerance, Dustin. Let intolerance be "their" domain(the right-wing, fundamentalist, "christian" nut-jobs).We(LGBTQ) have tolerance, inclusiveness, and love--on our side!

Dustin Brookshire said...

Steve,

Carrie Prejean is a beauty queen. She's isn't an elected official making any laws for the state of California nor the USA. No matter what any person feels, she is in entitled to her opinion. Would you have preferred that she lied when she answered the question? If she had lied, who knows how long it would have taken to know she doesn't stand on the other side of the fence.

I think there is a time for protest. I'm a fan of protesting (and raising a bit of hell in general). I went to the Prop 8 protest here in Atlanta to show my support for my fellow LGBT peeps in California. However, I wouldn't say a beauty queen's opinion should warrant a protest.

I see people on a spectrum. Politically speaking, I think people can be divided like this:
WAY left
in left land
Barely in left land
On the fence of Left/Right Land
Barely in right land
in right land
WAY right

Typically, we don't need to do any convincing/educating to the people in barely left land, in left land, and WAY left. However, the people on the fence of left/right land as well as barely in the right land can often be brought to "our side" through reason. Comments like the ones made by Perez Hilton do help win these people over, and I believe we need this people to continue to win our battles. These are also the people who don't really give a rat's ass about what a beauty queen has to say.

Just my two cents.

over and out,
Dustin

Collin Kelley said...

To paraphrase Jane Fonda in 9 to 5: Prejean is a lying, hypocritical, bigot. She's also an opportunist and now a mouthpiece for a Christian right organization that is spreading lies and hate speech across the airwaves. So, yeah, she's a beauty queen with an opinion (which she's most welcome to), but she's been given a platform to push her agenda and we need to push back. And that's my opinion.

Steve Fellner said...

As you might now, Dustin, Collin and I don't agree much, but I am happy to say that I think he's dead on. Yay!

Collin, I am glad to see that my blog is helping you out with your politics.

Collin Kelley said...

By pushing back, I mean counteracting her venom with facts and humor, which is what I tried to do on my blog. There is a lot of anger in the GLBT community about Prejean, NOM and their ilk. It's 40 years since Stonewall, and the fight for civil rights is hotter now than its ever been. The ink is hardly dry on the marriage bills in New England and there is massive movement by the right-wing to have Prop 8-style measures on the ballots in 2010. It's going to be an uphill battle to keep the rights we have now. There is going to be anger, there is going be parsing of words, names called, etc. The main thing is we are all working toward the same goal: civil and human rights for ALL.